Roque Mesa rejected Betis for city rivalsFebruary 2, 2018
Roque Mesa has claimed he rejected the chance to join Real Betis for a move to Sevilla.
It was confirmed that the midfielder was in attendance to have medical examinations on Monday morning and signed a six month loan deal at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, ending a nightmare stint in England.
The former Las Palmas midfielder will link up with Vincenzo Montella’s side for the remainder of the season and add an extra dimension to the Italian coach’s midfield options.
Having arrived in Wales last summer for a fee of €12.5m deal, Mesa featured in just nine games for the Premier League strugglers, being deemed surplus to requirements by new Swans boss Carlos Carvalhal.
And, after arriving in Seville, Mesa said that he had an offer form city rivals Betis but declined.
“It’s true that I spoke with Betis and Quique Setien,” Mesa told reporters.
“He was my Coach before and we remain good friends, he wanted me to join him which was natural, but I explained Sevilla was an important step in my career.
“I also spoke to Las Palmas, the chairman phoned me. But by that stage, I had already agreed terms with Sevilla so it could not have happened.
“It feels like I was destined to move to Sevilla, even though circumstances in the past did not allow it to happen.
“I’m very happy to be here and you just need to look at the club’s history, it is a great club, with great fans and it’s a great city.”
The Andalusian club have been busy this month, attempting to tie up deals for a number of new faces with Miguel Layun arriving from Portuguese side Porto and Sandro Ramirez joining from Everton.
Sevilla were held to Leganes in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg on Wednesday evening 1-1.
Montella’s side Eibar this weekend before the return leg next week against Asier Garitano’s side at the Estadio Municipal de Butarque.