Barcelona are said to have missed out on the signing of Gremio’s Arthur after a collapse in transfer talks.
The Catalan club have been in discussion with both the Brazilian side and the midfielder’s agent since the turn of 2018 and numerous reports across Spain had claimed last week that a deal was set for completion.
It was claimed that the Brazilian playmaker would be signing for Barca in January 2019, completing the full season with his current side.
However, after his agent and members from the Brazilian club travelled to Barcelona on Monday – talks are now said to have ended.
Spanish daily Marca claim that a transfer fee could not be agreed, whilst player wages and other fees have also hit a standstill.
The 21-year-old has been in superb form for Gremio, making 52 appearances for the first team in recent seasons, playing a big part in their successful Copa Libertadores campaign.
The report goes on to claim that Barca are unwilling to meet the midfielder’s release clause, set at €50m, telling representatives that they would only offer €40m.
Another problem is Barca’s three-non EU players – Yerry Mina, Paulinho and Philippe Coutinho, although the latter is expected to be handed a Portuguese passport in the coming weeks.