Sevilla sporting director Oscar Arias has opened up about his and Vincenzo Montella’s future, saying both could leave the club this summer.
Italian coach Montella arrived to replace Eduardo Berizzo earlier this season, but despite guiding them to a Champions League quarter-final place and Copa del Rey final – it is not known if his efforts will keep him at the club past the summer.
Sevilla officials were adamant at the start of the season that the Andalusian club should aim for a Champions League place, but Valencia’s resurgence has stopped them and the likes of Villarreal mounting any sort of a challenge.
Arias, who has been in charge of the club’s recruitment, is also under fire with a number of his previous signings coming under question.
And, the sporting director has opened up about his and Montella’s future in an interview with Spanish daily Marca.
“If things continue normally, we’ll keep doing well and both Vincenzo and I will continue next season,” he said.
“Decisions must be made according to whether we’re working in the right way. Results affect us, but they’re a bit up in the air at the moment.”
Arias also commented on Montella’s change in lifestyle and gamble on moving from the Italian league, where he coached AC Milan to Spanish football.
“Still, we must all be happy. Changes can be seen in the team and I’m very happy with Vincenzo’s work. He took a big gamble to come here.
“He made a personal, professional and economic effort, so his step of coming to Sevilla says a lot.
“It wasn’t a decision he made lightly. He wants to succeed with Sevilla and we’ll try to let that happen for him.”
Sevilla will return to domestic action after the international break with a fixture against league leaders Barcelona at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, before they Bayern Munich in the Champions League on the following Tuesday.