Marcos Alonso “Going to the World Cup would be a dream”

Marcos Alonso “Going to the World Cup would be a dream”

March 28, 2018 Off By Monica Villar

Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso was interviewed by Spanish newspaper Marca in which he discussed everything from making it to the Spain squad to his time at Chelsea and his future plans.

When asked how he left about being called-up so last minute, he prefers to think about the now: “It’s an honour to represent my country and going to the World Cup would be a dream scenario” but he understands how difficult it is to break into the squad “Spain has some really good players, the important thing is that I am here now.”

Alonso, who will be the third generation of the same family to play for Spain, is just focused in the upcoming game against Argentina tonight at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium which he says is will be a really great challenge as they are facing tough rivals in a good stadium.

In the past, Spain coach Julen Lopetegui has said that one of the main reasons for Marcos Alonso not being called up sooner was because of the way Spain play.

Alonso is aware of this however he says: “I’m comfortable playing in a line of four at the back, because that’s how I played during my time at Real Madrid, adapting to Spain’s style won’t be difficult.” He also praised the atmosphere between players “Although I know most of them either being team mates or rivals, they have all welcomed me with open arms”.

WHY NOT READ:   Jan Oblak turned down Chelsea move last week

He also had some words for fellow team mate Álvaro Morata, and said that he believes he will be a key player for the remainder of Chelsea’s season. Regarding the Blues, he said: “It’s normal to have a difficult year after winning the Premier League, especially when you consider how well Manchester City are doing, it will be a difficult end to the season our goal is to qualify for the Champions League and to try and win the FA Cup.”

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has come under fire in recent times, but Alonso has defended him saying he thinks he has done a great job and that in their minds the only outcome is to end the season on a high.

Regarding his future, Alonso said that he has three years left on his contract and his plan is to see them out. Alonso debuted for Real Madrid under Manuel Pellegrini in the 2009/10 season, but right now he hasn’t even considered the possibility of returning:“I don’t know what would have happened if I had chosen to stay, but for the moment I’m not thinking about a return to Madrid.”

Marcos Alonso was an unused sub against Spain’s 1-1 draw against Germany on Friday, but he did feature against Argentina on Tuesday evening.