Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde BildeBilde
Five star Sevilla make perfect start while Villarreal and Betis are held – UEFA Europa League Round Up

Five star Sevilla make perfect start while Villarreal and Betis are held – UEFA Europa League Round Up

Sevilla were in scintillating form in front of goal as they hammered Standard Liege 5-1 at the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

The La Liga side took just eight minutes to open the scoring and they did so in wonderful fashion, Ever Banega finding the net with a superb free-kick.

Despite their dominance, the Belgians levelled the match on 39 minutes. A corner was flicked on by Christian Luyindama to the back post where Moussa Djenepo was able to knock the ball into the corner.

However, they weren’t on terms for long as Sevilla quickly moved back in front thanks to a wonderful Franco Vazquez goal. Jesus Navas passed the ball back to the midfielder on the corner of the box and he curled a left foot shot home via the post.

It was 3-1 soon after half time following a Wissam Ben Yedder run where, via Ever Banega, the ball was worked out wide to Guilherme Arana who played a low cross into the middle where Ben Yedder was able to find the net.

Banega was involved again for the fourth goal with his through ball finding Ben Yedder who dinked it over the onrushing keeper.

Three minutes later the hosts were awarded a penalty. Vazquez went down under a challenge from Zinho Vanheusden in the box with Banega stroking the ball into the bottom left corner to round off a perfect evening for Sevilla.

A Viktor Claesson goal was enough to help Krasnodar beat Akhisarspor 1-0 in the other game in the group in Turkey. Sevilla travel to take on the Russians next while Standard Liege will host Akhisarspor.

Image result for sevilla 5-1 standard liege

Villarreal were made to rue a host of missed chances as they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Rangers.

WHY NOT READ:   Dani Ceballos joins Arsenal on loan from Real Madrid

The Yellow Submarine made the perfect start, opening the scoring after just 45 seconds. Carlos Bacca tried to push through the defence and as the ball sat up he sent a looping half volley over Allan McGregor into the net from 25 yards out.

Rangers were hardly in the game in the first half with Villarreal dominating, Santi Cazorla among those to go close with his effort pushed away by McGregor.

Scotland international McGregor was kept busy but he almost caused a goal after the restart, racing out to deny Karl Toko Ekambi but the clearance went straight to Bacca who missed the empty net.

Nicola Sansone’s cross found Ekambi a minute later but he skied the ball over the bar as Rangers struggled to stop the home attacks.

Ramiro Funes Mori then went close on 61 minutes with his volley looking destined for the bottom left corner before McGregor dived to tip the ball around the post.

You began to get the feeling that Villarreal could soon regret those chances and on 67 minutes they were made to pay.

James Tavernier forced his way into the box, despite claims of a foul by the home side, before laying off Daniel Candeias who cut the ball back to Scott Arfield to put into the empty goal.

It was 2-1 within two minutes though as substitute Gerard Moreno restored Villarreal’s lead, receiving the ball before beating Borna Barisic to find the corner.

Barisic made up for his mistake on 76 minutes when he raced onto Glenn Middleton’s ball before squaring for Kyle Lafferty who clipped the ball into the corner of the net.

WHY NOT READ:   Gareth Bale is on verge of joining Chinese Super League side

Both teams had late chances to win it, Arfield firing straight at Andres Fernandez after a Graham Dorrans pass before Villarreal missed two great headed opportunities in stoppage time.

Moreno was unmarked at a corner but couldn’t hit the target before Bacca got on the end of Miguel Llambrich’s  cross before somehow heading it wide from a few yards out.

The other two teams in the group met in Austria with Rapid Vienna beating Spartak Moscow 2-0.

Kyle Lafferty of Rangers scores his sides second goal to make it 2-2.

Real Betis made their return to Europe with a trip to Greece where they drew 0-0 with Olympiacos.

Both sides looked to play football in the first half and succeeded with an entertaining but goalless first half being the way of things.

Loren Moron looked certain to score before a last ditch tackle from the defender forced a corner instead with the hosts’ best chance falling the way of Daniel Podence whose shot was stopped by Joel Robles.

Betis took control in the second half but the Greeks almost scored when Mohamed Mady’s half volley was well blocked by Robles.

Within a minute of that chance, Olympiacos went down to ten men. Konstantinos Tsimikas was on a booking when he took out Loren and he was swiftly shown his second yellow and sent off.

Los Verdiblancos piled the pressure on the home defence but couldn’t find a way through a tight home defence and in the end had to settle for a draw.

Betis will host Dudelange on matchday two, the side from Luxembourg lost 1-0 at home to AC Milan in the second game of the evening.