Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde BildeBilde
La Liga 1|2|3 Round Up Week 9: Around the Grounds

La Liga 1|2|3 Round Up Week 9: Around the Grounds

The La Liga 123 action kicked off early on Friday afternoon with Malaga extending their lead at the top of La Liga 123 table. After overcoming an Albacete side who had initially taken the lead through a Jérémie Bela penalty on the 58th minute after Pau Torres brought down Roman Zozulia.

Five minutes later Malaga struck back through Gustavo Blanco after the Argentinean who is on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk struck from close range following a corner. Four minutes later it was Blanco on the score sheet again with a header from the right side of the box, Javier Ontiveros went close to extending Malaga’s lead with a ferocious shot which struck the crossbar on 76 minutes.

With Albacete’s last chance falling to Paulo Vitor who’s right footed shot from outside the box drifted wide. Malaga hung on to secure a hard fought 2-1 victory and claim all three points.

Friday also saw Extremadura bounce back from last week’s defeat to Numancia as they beat Cadiz 2-1, despite falling behind in the first half thanks to a floated free kick by Álex Fernández which found Ivan Kecojevic whose looping header found the back of Álvaro Fernández’s net.

The second half started much as the first had ended with Cadiz looking to extend their lead but the game changed in a instant on the 55th minute as Alex Díez crossed from the right and Enric Gallego rose to head in for the home side to make it 1-1. Their second goal came two minutes later when Alex Díez’s free kick struck the post and Zarfino was on hand to stroke in the rebound to help Juan Sabas’s team claim their first home victory.

Saturday’s games

The future of José Ramón Sandoval is once again being called into question as his Cordoba side were beaten 3-1 by Osasuna in Saturday’s early game. Osasuna dominated the early stages with 75% possession yet they failed to capitalize on this advantage until the 35th minute when Kike Barja’s low cross from the right was tucked away by Juan Villar.

Cordoba found their way back into the game a few minutes into the second half when former Sampdoria striker Federico Piovaccari’s header found the net following a cross from Sasa Jovanovic. This set back only seemed to spur on the team from Pamplona; they dominated much like in the first half, in possession and had the greater number of chances. In five fateful minutes Cordoba crumbled with firstly Kike Barja scoring in the 71st minute this was quickly followed 4 minutes later with Roberto Torres getting on the score sheet leaving Cordoba rooted to the bottom of the table.

Sporting secured a late point following a 1-1 draw against Reus in a game that was full of drama and tension. Again there were calls for VAR to be introduced to La Liga 123 after referee Varón Aceitón mistakenly awarded a penalty to Sporting for what he deemed was handball against Reus player Pereira only for replays clearly showing the ball had struck him in the face. However, justice prevailed as Edgar Badía saved the resulting penalty taken by Djurjevic to keep the scores level.

It was not until mid way into the second half when the deadlock was broken when the away side took the lead through Miguel Linares whose left footed shot found the bottom left corner of the goal. Throughout the match, the home fans had been protesting against Sporting coach Rubén Baraja with various banners around El Molinón calling for his resignation. It looked as though it was turning into another defeat, following his sides Monday 2-1 away loss at the hands of Rayo Majadahonda. That was until Sporting were awarded yet another penalty deep into stoppage time following a foul on Neftali Manzambi which was dispatched by Carlos Carmona rescuing a late point for Rojiblanco.

Numancia secured their second consecutive home win and third overall, against a Zaragoza team who have now gone a month without securing a victory. There was little to note in the first half, though the home side did dominate possession. Luis Valcarce and Higinio tried their luck, without really threatening the Zaragoza goal. In the second half Zaragoza coach Imanol Idiakez introduced Diego Aguirre to give more consistency to their midfield but as in the first half there was little action of note, until 5 minutes from the end when Borja Viguera converted a penalty after Alberto Escassi was adjudged to have handled the ball.

In Saturday’s final game Almeria convincingly defeated Las Palmas 3-0. Almeria took the lead in the 8th minute through a disputed goal as Juan Carlos who was involved in the move that led to Juanjo Narváez was clearly offside. Las Palmas went on to dominate possession after conceding and had several attempts to level the game, only for René to keep them at bay. After halftime The Canaries tried everything to level the match, only for their game plan to backfire as they conceded a second when Juanjo this time assisted Carlos whose left footed shot found the top right of the Las Palmas net. Manolo Jiménez’s team day went from bad to worse as Álvaro Lemos scored an own goal with 5 minutes to go.

Tenerife and Lugo kicked off Sunday’s action and although there were glimpses of improvements shown by Tenerife they still struggled to break down a stubborn Lugo side as the game finished 0-0. José Luis Oltra’s team lined up with five at the back to tighten up a defence that had conceded four goals against Mallorca last week and they played well in possession but did not threaten a Lugo team who were well organised but did not show any ambition to win the game.

Rayo Majadahonda followed up their victory against Sporting on Monday by beating another Asturian team, this time it was Oviedo who fell victim to Antonio Iriondo’s side. The game started with Bolaño nearly handing Rayo an early goal as his mistake led to Aitor Garcia having a one on one chance but with all the time in the world the majariego winger placed his shot wide.

As the first half developed it was Oviedo who enjoyed most of the possession but the best chances fell to Majadahonda. As the second half started the home side changed tactics slightly allowing them to have more possession than in the first half. With both teams having a number of chances to score the decisive moment,this came in the very last minute as Luso scored a towering header past Herrero following a corner delivered by Francisco Varela to secure a 1-0 victory for Rayo Majadahonda.

With the match was already delayed by 10 minutes due to some problems with the floodlights of the Nou Estadi the game between Nastic and Alcorcón was suspended after heavy rain fell on the Catalan town.

The match stopped after half an hour of play, when Alcorcón were leading 0-3 (a double by Juan Muñoz with Nono also scoring) but after resuming again 10 minutes later, referee Trujillo Suarez eventually ordered a halt to proceedings after the 40th minute as the stadium suffered yet another blackout and with conditions only getting worse he ordered the players off the pitch.  La Liga have since announced the remaining part of the game will be played tomorrow at 4:00 pm.