Real Betis star Junior Firpo has been ruled out for one month through injury, it has been confirmed.
The Dominican-born defedner has been in superb form this season, highlighted with a goal and superb showing against Barcelona last month.
However, he will now be unavailable for Quique Setien, missing the upcoming games against Eibar, Huesca and Real Madrid – although he could return to face the latter if his recovery goes well.
Junior, who agreed a contract extension at Betis until June 2023, has been heavily linked with Arsenal and Manchester City this season.
Striker hunt begins for Betis bosses
With the January transfer window upon us, Betis have confirmed that they will actively search for a new striker.
President Angel Haro was speaking Betis TV on Monday evening and he said that he wanted to bolster boss Setien’s options up front and provide the Andalusian club with some extra fire power for a run in the Europa League and domestically.
Betis face French club Rennes in the Europa League last-16 on February 14th in France, before the return leg at the Benito Villamarin none month.
Setien has guided Betis to fifth in the La Liga standings prior to this weekend’s action, and he said that he was happy with his side’s ‘continually’ improvement.
“It’s true that this year we have gone through some difficult moments but in general the team has kept growing and kept improving,” Setien told reporters, as cited by Betis club media.
“The players, every day, practically all of them when they play, they give the best version of themselves.
“We can see that they are growing and that this is the way.”