Atletico Madrid have confirmed Lucas Hernandez will move to Bayern Munich in January after the German side paid his €80m release clause.
The 22-year-old French international has made 15 appearances this term for the Spanish side but the game against Alaves where he came off injured – is now set to be his last.
Multiple reports across Spanish press claimed on Tuesday evening that a deal had been agreed, and that was confirmed by Atleti, who issued a statement.
Hernandez is now set to arrive in Germany on January 1st when the transfer window re-opens, and this comes despite agreeing a new deal with Diego Simeone’s side last summer.
A four-year deal is said to have been agreed between the Bundesliga champions and the World Cup winner.
“Following the story published by the Marca newspaper on an alleged deal between Bayern Munich and our player Lucas Hernandez, according to which the German club is to trigger the Frenchman’s buyout clause in the January window, Atlético de Madrid wishes to state that, in conversation with our club, Lucas Hernandez has denied any deal with Bayern Munich and also any intention to exit our club,” the club statement read.
“Additionally, the excellent relationship between Atlético de Madrid and the German club has led Bayern Munich to deny said operation during a conversation between officials of both clubs.”
The move does see Manchester United miss out after being linked heavily in the past and it will also see defensive worries continue for Simeone, who has had multiple injuries this term, relying on utility player Thomas Partey and midfielder Saul Niguez to play in more defensive roles.
Hernandez’ move to Bayern continues a trend set by the Bavarian side, who have signed the likes of Thiago Alcantara, Javi Martinez, Juan Bernat, James Rodriguez and Arjen Robben from La Liga clubs in the past.