Ajax midfielder Frenkie De Jong has told the club’s website that he will not be leaving in January.
Earlier this week the young Dutchman was heavily linked with a move to either Manchester City, Paris Saint Germain or Barca, having seen his form gain interest from the three major European clubs.
Ajax, who have seemingly been willing to allow De Jong to leave – set an asking price of €75m but that figure has not put of the aforementioned clubs.
The midfielder’s words follow up a report from Wednesday’s front page of Mundo Deportivo, which reads ‘De Jong YES Barca’, claiming that he has agreed personal terms, rejecting the chance to join PSG – who offered a deal.
The said contract is said to be a five year deal, which the Dutchman has agreed and will be confirmed by all parties later this week.
That has now been countered by De Jong, who said: “Definitely, I’m staying until the end of the season.
“I do not know if others could leave, but I would like this group to remain unchanged, we had a good first half of the season and the atmosphere is good, with the quality we have, it would be a pity if any of us left now.”
Barca have been fairly active in the January transfer window thus far, completing a move for Toulouse defender Jean-Clair Todibo, who will arrive in the summer – whilst the club have been actively trying to sell Munir El Haddadi.
The Moroccan forward has been linked with a move to the Premier League, whilst former club Alaves and Sevilla are said to be interested in a deal.