Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde Bilde BildeBilde Bilde BildeBilde
Barcelona ‘calm’ after Copa del Rey elimination threat

Barcelona ‘calm’ after Copa del Rey elimination threat

Barcelona have denied claims from El Mundo that they fielded an ineligable player against Levante in the first leg of their Copa del Rey last 16 tie.

The Catalan side gave a start to Chumi in central defence, however, the youngster had been suspended for the B side, who play in the third tier of Spanish football.

It is a similar situation to that of Denis Cheryshev, who played for Real Madrid in 2015 and saw the Santiago Bernabeu outfit eliminated from the tournament.

However, despite that incident and claims of elimination, Barca officials are said to be ‘calm’ over the threat with Levante president Quique Catalan confirming that his side would be contacting the RFEF on Friday morning.

Barca, who face Levante in the second lef of that tie on Thursday evening – claim that a rule change in November sees them having not broken the rules.

El Mundo cited article 56.3 of the disciplinary code, which says: “Until the sanction is complete with his team, he cannot participate in the superior categories. The suspended player cannot play for any those teams or clubs, until he has missed the number of weeks of the sanction in the category the infraction was committed.”

WHY NOT READ:   Diego Simeone extends Atleti deal until 2022

Barca claim the rule change which says that light suspensions take place in the competition they were acquired in, heavy ones across multiple competitions and therefore, Chumi, was allowed to feature in the Copa del Rey.