Villarreal will be looking to push on against Valladolid on Friday evening after re-hiring Javi Calleja just 50 days after he was sacked.
The Spanish tactician returned to the Estadio de la Ceramica – just 50 days after being sacked and his side produced a good first half display last time out against Espanyol last weekend.
Goals from Santi Cazorla and Vicente Iborra saw them race to a 2-0 lead, but having let that lead slip – the club’s fans felt an all too familiar feeling.
The Yellow Submarine sit 19th in the La Liga standings, having won just three of their games in 22 this term.
Friday’s game will be Calleja’s second since returning and he will be hoping that his side can get an all important win to close the gap on 18th place Rayo Vallecano.
Valladolid, however, provide a stern test for the visitors with Sergio Gonzalez’ side improving of late, despite their last outing which saw them lose 4-0 to bottom side Huesca.
Six wins and seven draws in their opening 22 games sees them sit 14th in the league standings, but they will be looking over their shoulder at the relegation place, sitting just two points off Rayo.
Team News – Valladolid
- Fernando Calero is missing due to suspension, which should see Joaquin slot in at centre-back.
- Pablo Hervias is expecting to start on the right-hand side of midfield after signing for the club again in January.
- Michel is available again after a ban and should replace Anuar in the centre of midfield.
Team News – Villarreal
- Victor Ruiz is available after suspension and should return into a back three at the expense of Daniele Bonera.
- Javi Calleja is expected to go with Alfonso Pedraza and Miguelon as options at wing-back once again.
- Karl Toko Ekambi and Gerard Moreno should also continue up top, which will see Samuel Chukwueze sit on the bench again.
Valladolid: Masip, Moyano, Olivas, Fernandez, Nacho, Villa, Alcaraz, Michel, Hervias, Plano, Guardiola
Villarreal: Asenjo, Mori, Gonzalez, Ruiz, Miguelon, Pedraza, Iborra, Caseres, Fornals, Cazorla, Ekambi