Atletico Madrid host Real Madrid on Saturday and the winner will take advantage as the race to catch Barcelona continues.
Diego Simeone’s side have long been in contention to press league leaders Barca, but the defeat to Real Betis last weekend has now seen their title credentials questionned.
Barca lead the La Liga standings at present and can extend that lead with a win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, making the Madrid derby a massive game for both sides.
Real Madrid arrive at the Wanda in superb form, having found a playing style under Santi Solari and on the back of a good performance against Barcelona at the Camp Nou on Wednesday in the Copa del Rey.
The winner of this one will provide the best current threat to Barca, but if past matches are anything to by – it will be an extremely tight affair.
Team News – Atletico Madrid
- Diego Godin has returned to training and is expected back in the starting XI in time for the derby.
- Saul is expected to feature on the left wing at Thomas Lemar’s expense, with Angel Correa featuring on the opposite flank.
- Alvaro Morata should get another start for the home side after his January loan move.
Team News – Real Madrid
- Dani Carvajal and Raphael Varane both return from league suspension and will return in defence.
- Vinicius Jr and Lucas Vazquez are expected to be deployed on the wings for the away side meaning Gareth Bale settles for another place on the bench.
- Sergio Reguilon should continue at left-back, with few surprises expected from Santiago Solari.
- Isco suffered a back injury in training on Friday and won’t make the squad here.
Atletico Madrid: Oblak, Arias, Gimenez, Godin, Hernandez, Partey, Correa, Saul Niguez, Rodrigo, Griezmann, Morata
Real Madrid: Courtois, Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Vinicius Jr, Benzema, Vazquez