Espanyol and Rayo Vallecano will play out an all-important tie in La Liga on Saturday afternoon as the relegation battle hots up.
The home side had started the season well but since the early months – they have dropped down the league standings and closer to the bottom three, where visitors Rayo sit at present.
A 2-2 draw with Villarreal for the Catalan side last weekend may not have been what they wanted but the fact they came from 2-0 down to rescue a point shows their resilience and could help them in the long run.
Rayo, sit 18th and are desperately looking up the table in a bid to hold off the threat of relegation to the Segunda division.
Form has been inconsistent for Rayo but an excellent win over Alaves last weekend sees them come into the game making it a fairly even affair.
Team News – Espanyol
- Mario Hermoso misses out due to suspension, which should see Lluis Lopez feature at centre-back once again.
- Marc Roca is available after a ban, however, and should anchor the midfield.
- Pablo Piatti is expected to feature on the right-hand side, though Wu Lei and Facundo Ferreyra are now options for Rubi.
Team News – Rayo
- Oscar Trejo is sidelined due to suspension for the away side, after picking up his fifth booking of the season.
- Alvaro Garcia is expected to come into the attack as a result, although Bebe is available again after a ban.
- Santi Comesana is back from suspension too, and should replace Alvaro Medran in the middle of midfield.
Espanyol: Diego Lopez, Rosales, Lluis Lopez, David Lopez, Vila, Darder, Roca, Melendo, Garcia, Piatti, Iglesias
Rayo: Dimitrievski, Amat, Ba, Velazquez, Advincula, Comesana, Imbula, Moreno, Embarba, Raul de Tomas, Garcia