What can we expect as Villarreal travel to face Real Valladolid on Friday evening at Jose Zorrilla?
The Spanish tactician returned to the Estadio de la Ceramica – just 50 days after being sacked and his side produced a good first half display last time out against Espanyol last weekend.
Goals from Santi Cazorla and Vicente Iborra saw them race to a 2-0 lead, but having let that lead slip – the club’s fans felt an all too familiar feeling.
The Yellow Submarine sit 19th in the La Liga standings, having won just three of their games in 22 this term.
Friday’s game will be Calleja’s second since returning and he will be hoping that his side can get an all important win to close the gap on 18th place Rayo Vallecano.
Valladolid, however, provide a stern test for the visitors with Sergio Gonzalez’ side improving of late, despite their last outing which saw them lose 4-0 to bottom side Huesca.
- Valladolid have won eight of their last ten against Villarreal at home in all competitions
- Valladolid have conceded less than 2.5 goals in their last four against Villarreal at home
- Villarreal have failed to win their last nine games in La Liga
- Villarreal have conceded over 2 goals in each of their last six away games in La Liga
- Valladolid have won just one of their last nine games, which came in their last home outing against Celta Vigo
What is likely to happen?
Expect Valladolid to produce a comeback should they fall behind to Villarreal. The away side have failed to keep leads this season, including last week’s against Espanyol and given the home side’s record against the visitors – a d is draw is expected.