Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic is not due to receive a contract extension offer, despite his recent comments in the media.
Diario Sport amongst other Spanish reports have claimed that Rakitic is subject to a bid from the Premier League side, who want to agree a deal in principle for the summer.
But the Spanish media outfit have now claimed that Barca are not planning on renewal talks soon.
The Croatian international has been a key figure for the Catalan side since arriving in 2014 and is one of Ernesto Valverde’s most consistent performers.
The rumours of a potential exit for Rakitic come after Frenkie De Jong was signed by Barca and will arrive in summer, coupled with a promise by the club’s board that they will sell three midfielders.
One of those is said to be Denis Suarez,who has joined Arsenal on loan, and Arturo Vidal could be a short term plan for the Catalan club.
“I have always said that I want to stay here (at Barcelona) and I will say it again and again, ” Rakitic said to reporters last week when asked about a fresh deal.
“I’m more than happy here and my intention is to stay even longer. I gave the president a little reminder to see if he could get my renewal going.”
The Croatian has won four Copa del Rey titles and the Champions League with Barcelona, aswell as three league titles.
Barca beat Real Valladolid at the weekend to extend their lead at the top of the La Liga title after Real Madrid slipped up against Girona.
The Catalan side face Lyon in the Champions League on Tuesday evening in France, before meeting Sevilla at the weekend.