Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane believes side did not lack effort in their 2-1 defeat to Girona on Sunday.
Having started the season in stuttering form, Madrid had bounced back slightly with wins over Eibar, Getafe, Espanyol and Alaves.
However, their run of successive victories came to an end on Sunday after a shock defeat to Catalan side Girona.
Isco’s opening goal was cancelled out by Cristhian Stuani, before Portu grabbed a winner for the newly promoted La Liga side.
Zidane, who has faced questions over the form of some of his bigger player this season so far – faced more after the match.
The former midfielder did however, claim his side had played well and didn’t lack effort.
“What we lacked? The second goal,” the Frenchman said to reporters following the game. We did well in the first half, but their first goal came from a throw-in and we weren’t focused.
“There’s no need to go over it again. It wasn’t planned. We did well in the first half but worse in the second. Now we’re going to lift ourselves. I don’t think we played badly. We worked hard. That’s why it bothers me. It’s more down to concentration as we showed our faces.
“We didn’t pick up the three points. All my players worked hard, but the two goals came from a throw-in and then a rebound.”
Now eight points behind rivals and league leaders Barcelona, Zidane said his players must forget the defeat and push on.
“It is what it is. Today we’ve dropped three points, we’re eight behind [Barca], but it’s not going to change anything.”
Madrid will now prepare to face Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on Wednesday evening in the Champions League, a competition they have won twice in two years.
Elsewhere, Valencia and Barcelona remained undefeated with wins over Alaves and Athletic Club, respectively, whilst Atletico Madrid were held for the fifth time in six games as Carlos Bacca cancelled out Angel Correa’s opener.