Despite the start of the winter transfer window being just over a month away, Malaga are set to announce a new signing in the coming days after left-back Juankar was ruled out for the rest of the season with knee ligament damage.
The Costa del Sol club hopes to secure the signing of a defender “within the next 48 hours”, head coach Michel told reporters at a press conference on Thursday.
Diario SUR reported earlier in the week that the Blue and Whites would not reinforce in that position given that both Federico Ricca and Miguel Torres are set to return to fitness by the New Year.
Michel and sporting director Mario Husillos agreed in their winter recruitment planning meeting on Tuesday that bringing in a stop-gap for what would be three games made little sense, especially given the side’s more pressing concerns, namely a centre-half and a holding midfielder.
What’s more, they didn’t want to eat into their limited budget, believed to be in the region of two million euros, for a non-priority position.
However, “the market has moved quickly”, Michel said.
This player, whose identity has not yet been made public, but is believed to be Espanyol’s Sergio Sanchez, can play anywhere across the backline, therefore satisfying the need for cover for Juankar as well as in the middle – a win-win scenario for the Andalusians.
With the transfer window still closed, it remains to be seen whether this player will join immediately, therefore having his existing contract torn up, or whether he will join on 1 January.