Valverde remains coy on Coutinho arrivalJanuary 4, 2018
Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde has remained coy on reports linking Philippe Coutinho with a move from Liverpool.
The long rumoured interest from Barca in the Brazilian international almost saw a summer move come to life, but Anfield bosses held strong and rejected such bids from the Catalan giants.
Further interest has emerged and it is reported that a January bid is being prepared with Barca boss Ernesto Valverde keen to build on his impressive start to both the domestic and European season.
Coutinho, is said to have already agreed terms to move to the Camp Nou and the date of January 6th is now in various media outlets.
Whilst reports continue, Valverde has played down such talks in the build up to Barca’s Copa del Rey fixture with Celta Vigo on Thursday evening.
“Coutinho does not play for us, so I have nothing to say,” Valverde told a press conference on Wednesday.
“He’s a fantastic player and nobody knows what will happen in the future but I am very happy with my players I have here right now, I like them much more than anyone else.
“It would not be respectful for us to talk about players of other clubs, it is disrespectful to the clubs involved and to the player.”
Coutinho has previously played in Spain with Espanyol, having enjoyed a loan spell with the Catalan club whilst with Italian side Inter Milan.
Since arriving at Liverpool, the midfielder has been a major player for the Anfield based club, helping them reach the Champions League this season.
Whilst his future in England is not fully known, some reports have claimed that a £133m deal has been agreed between both clubs.