Espanyol’s Moreno denies Villarreal return rumours

Espanyol’s Moreno denies Villarreal return rumours

January 5, 2018 Off By Sports Writer

Espanyol striker Gerard Moreno has denied reports linking him with a move to former club Villarreal.

Reports surfaced earlier this week that Villarreal could make a move for their former striker after Cedric Bakambu received an offer from China.

The Congolese striker has been in superb form this season, netting an impressive 14 goals in all competitions but the Yellow Submarine have been helpless in their desire to keep hold of him past interest from China.

Bakambu’s links to China follow that of Maxi Gomez, who was on the verge of leaving Celta Vigo before the winter break.

And, after negotiations over the weekend, it now seems a €40m move to Beijing Guoan is set to be completed.

Bakambu, who has netted 48 goals for Villarreal since 2015 is now expected to be replaced by Espanyol’s Moreno as Calleja’s options in attack would be youngster Daniel Raba and loanee Carlos Bacca.

Mundo Deportivo claim that the Catalan club have received an offer from their La Liga counterparts, whilst interest from the Premier League is also heard.

But, the Spanish striker has denied such reports, saying he is focusing on the present with Espanyol.

“I’m very calm and I have not received any offers,” Moreno told Onda Cero.

“No offer has come in for me that I have been told about and I’m just focused on working and helping the team improve and continuing to move forward.”

The 25-year-old striker joined Espanyol in 2015 from Villarreal, who still own 50% of the players ‘ownership’ rights.

WHY NOT READ:   Marcelo working towards recovery

Moreno, who has a contract until 2020 has a release clause of €40m release clause, which is due to be increased at the end of the season.