Espanyol boss Quique Sanchez Flores has refused to discuss a potential switch back to England football with Stoke City.
The Spanish coach has been hotly tipped to replace former Barcelona midfielder Mark Hughes after he was sacked earlier this week.
Hughes was let go after a dismal run of results and it has emerged that the Espanyol gaffer is their preferred choice over Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane, who have also been linked.
Reports in English media claim talks have already begun between QSF and the Premier League side, with Spanish Football expert Guillem Balague saying the former Watford coach has until Friday to make a decision.
Flores has been at the RCDE stadium for one and a half seasons now, following his exit from Watford in 2016, and he has guided the Catalan based side to a Copa del Rey quarter final place, beating Levante on Thursday evening to progress.
Speaking after his side’s cup win, Flores told press that he was focusing only on the victory and the weekend fixture against Athletic Club.
“I’m not going to talk about me on such an important day for Espanyol,” he told reporters after the match. “It’s a day for Espanyol, for the club, for the players, it’s a day to celebrate for having qualified for the quarters.
“I don’t want to talk about me, but to enjoy these moments. I want to continue being happy with my profession.. I’m very grateful to Espanyol, I’ve been frustrated sometimes because we haven’t advanced as fast as desired, but that’s because Espanyol haven’t been able to, not because they haven’t wanted to.